Sunday, July 26, 2009

Welcome to Highway 2 ...and Headwinds

As we left Duluth this morning we were all under the impression that the first 10 miles of the day were going to be the hardest. Were we ever wrong. The first 10 miles was pretty much as constant uphill climb because we were leaving the lowest point in all of Minnesota. While it was tough, it was also fun and provided us with some extraordinary views of the largest inland harbor. Once we hit US-2, the fun was over. The winds were directly in our faces coming between 10 and 20 mph. It was very tough to pedal and maintain a good pace. Unfortunately, I got stuck riding by myself for a while, which makes it even tougher because there is no one to draft off of. After lunch we had some good pace lines going for a while in order to cut down on individual effort and block wind for each other. After a while I got bored and decided to go on my own again, I made it to the front of the pack and just wanted to get the long riding day over with. I did, I arrived at the church and shortly after many more joined me. I for one was exhausted and treated myself to a nap on the lawn before dinner. After dinner I didn't do too much and ended up catching up on my blogs before going to bed. Oh and by the way, we will be on US Highway 2 until Idaho! This is going to get interesting, or rather repetitive...

No comments:

Post a Comment